Virtual Reality Training Vs Desktop Based Training
Virtual Reality (VR) presents a low-cost alternative to traditional training by offering interactive and immersive 3-D simulation environments that help train critical skills. The technology is known for its effectiveness in safety and skill training because it could simulate complex tasks that are not feasible or safe to teach in real life.
How much value does VR offer over other types of training (e.g., desktop-based computer training)? We implemented VR systems in a company that was employing desktop training, and here’s what we found.
Challenges Faced with Desktop Based Training
- It is a 2D environment.
- There is no physical interaction with the training system.
- It follows the old-school method of text-based teaching.
What Addresses These Challenges?
- An environment that allows physical interactions with the training system.
- A 3D environment that allows interactive visual gestures such as showing and pointing while supporting various other types of communication.
- A platform where trainees can learn while doing.
They felt the need for improved results in the long-term, as desktop-based training churned out success in the shorter-term but failed to provide consistent results.
TNQ InGage Solution
We helped create an immersive environment that allows more physical interactions with the training system. This effectively enhanced the quality of the learning process, as the trainees had an opportunity to practise the operations rather than learn it through mere verbal instructions. While the Desktop training process initially gave satisfactory impressions, the final mediation proved that Virtual Reality training was more effective in the longer run. And guess what? The trainees were much speedier and more efficient in their tasks.
The company reported more recall of the learning given its immersive nature. Gesture-based commands in VR, i.e., the act of enacting the procedure helped the participants to learn the task better.
- Improved Productivity
- A visual model of training, leading to faster learning.
- Long-term productivity and recall.
Phone: 77606 04135